Wednesday, January 29, 2014

A life worth sharing...


For Graham


     Real story-telling doesn’t need any words at all.
     Two eyes connecting you to a life are enough
     to drive you seventy-five head-first into a divider of the past
     making you break it, break yourself back
     to a girl with some kind of kind in her voice,
     converting the blues into a tendency towards melancholy
     or my past.

I shape-shifted my way through every class
of girls, drugs, songs and hoops
being the only kind of asshole you have to like,
telling myself I didn’t have to care,
as long as I had a court to lay my head on
and a bag of coke to take me away
from the white Halls,
my own home in hell
as an 18-year-old,
I’m the ultimate romantic
beneath a skin of damaged
rebellion and Clint Eastwood,
nose ring and all.

Late nights left me
tripping over everything but my shoes.
I felt a hand on my shoulder binding me down
with the same kind of grace I was told to live by,
from a Presbyterian pulpit,
pushing my 1.75 GPA in my face
telling me that I just didn’t get “it”
and making me become a man
of more than just soft eyes.

When Caroline went silent
they didn’t leave the side of her crib,
crying more tears than she had breaths
to breathe in a world of addiction,
divorce, death and Captain Hook,
with an exhale of hope
the way only a child can.

When you’re sad and when you’re lonely
And you haven’t got a friend
Just remember that death is not the end
And all that you’ve held sacred
Falls down and does not mend
Just remember that death is not the end
Not the end, not the end
Just remember that death is not the end

He fell down south,
the enemy of his family
with the world piled on four wheels,
a hole of substance taking him
farther.
Father.
Three years away kept him alive.
He was a friend to his son
on the rougher side of life,
just another channel on talk radio
with a need for change.
Before I knew it I was lost
in a war I didn’t begin by sneaking out
for the five hundredth time.
It was miserable
but we were miserable together
and there is something really beautiful about that
so I survived the world in camouflage
and made my way to a state of purpose.

I took my Harley to Yuma,
to the River Theme of folk rock.
She was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen,
and they say I’m well-spoken.
She took my heart to Nashville the next summer.
I never heard from her again.

     I still love the city, love her,
     thrive off the way she hypnotizes me
     with a grimy type of comfort
     telling me to Stay All Night,
     to remain undefeated

but I come alive
in the blue and dirty of Memphis,
finding fulfillment in the back of a juke joint,
a hard drink in hand
surrounded by the kind of rough people I prefer,
and a couple of Black Keys
to take me home.

No comments:

Post a Comment